Sunday, April 24, 2011

My flat (apartment in American)

I think this is sort of a mundane topic, but figured some people might want to know.

I live in a one bedroom flat with what seemed to me to be a weird address.  It is a different postal code system than I'm used to.  I reside at 15 Regent House, 36 Denison Road, Manchester M14 5RY.  If I try to tell someone around here where I live, I have to say in Rushholm, just off the Curry Mile, across from the Chinese Embassy.  Giving a street address isn't that helpful, unless you know the area REALLY well, which most people don't, as Manchester is a big place.

Here's Denison Road, which is only four or five blocks long:
My block of flats (read apartment building) is at the end of the sidewalk.  The walls along the walk shaped stone, and have moss and ivy in spots.


Here's the Chinese Embassy as seen outside my front room window:
Obviously, this picture was taken a bit earlier.  It was mid December, and the snow was falling in the quiet, gentle way that happens when there is no wind, and no sound.  I find it so soothing, and somewhat magical.  I really enjoy it.  Especially from inside with a cup of hot chocolate.

I rent a furnished flat, because shipping furniture was too expensive, and basically pointless. (And I have no furniture worth that much anyway.)  The place is all done in blue, which I like.  I could have picked one done in purple, but it was up several floors and there are no lifts (elevators) in the building.  Here's what it looked like before my stuff arrived:
And after:
Ah, yes...books on every flat surface, and craft stuff all over the place.  I have a closet full of DVDs and another with bags of spinning stuff, spun stuff, cloth and textile tools.  Much better.

(You can't see the books in the hall, bathroom and back wall of the front room.  I brought about half of my library, only 500 or so books, and have added another dozen or so since I got here)

Now, of course the whole place is much messier.  Chet once told me I would keep a clean house, except wherever I was working, and wherever he was working.  At the moment, I'm rewarping the loom, and the desk is covered with books and papers (and headache meds), so the front room has piles of library books (read and unread) and yarns and clay donuts all over the place.  It'll get sorted...sooner or later.

No comments:

Post a Comment