Friday, January 28, 2011

Food!

I've been thinking about this topic for a while, as it is kind of important to existence.  And it is enjoyable.

I expected there to be differences, of course, but in retrospect I expected more name changes and extra items more than not being able to find things I'm used to having.  For example, zucchini is called corgettes and I had stretchy bacon for breakfast this morning, but I can't find any chili.  Or Mexican restaurants.  What's that about?!  Doesn't everyone eat Mexican food?   There are plenty of flan, paan, scotch pancakes and croissants, but no tortillas, cream of mushroom soup, cinnamon rolls or link sausages.  There is Krispy Kreme, though.  Go figure.

I also have a problem with their baking isles.  Chocolate chips come in what looks like 3/4 ounce bags, flour comes in 1 kilo (2.2 lbs) bags.  That's not enough to make my bread recipe, maybe a batch or two of cookies...

Adverts around here seem to assume that cooking at home is not an everyday occurrence.  There is one that says running to the store, going home, cooking it up and eating it will only take 90 minutes.  If the stuff is already in your house it takes less time, people!  Weird.

On the flip side, I can get duck, duck grease, haggis, and all kinds of Indian food at the store, along with other items I have yet had the guts to try.  I've had duck, actually.  It was very dry, reminding me of the chicken squares that come in the Lipton dry soups before you add water.  (I was a strange child...don't ask.)

Hopefully, I can start posting some of my many pictures soon.  The posts should be more interesting then, as I take pictures of things just so I can remember to tell people what I'm thinking, noticing, and finding interesting, like the tiles on the Oxford Road train bridge that look like characters from the old Space Invaders Game, the cinema inside an old warehouse, or the single brown pigeon in the flock next to my house.

Addendum:  No Chocolate/Peanut butter combinations  here either.  No Reeces, no chocolate covered peanuts...that's just wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment