Thursday, December 30, 2010

still waiting for the internet...

It's a bureaucratic tangle (of course).  I can't get an internet hook up until I get a local bank account, which I've signed up for, but have not yet recieved.  Apparently, you fill out the paperwork, then a few days/weeks later they input the information and send out a letter telling you that you have an account.  That takes a week or so to arrive.  Then I can call British Telecom with that information.  Then four to six weeks later they will send out an engineer to set me up.

I can't use the internet or the library at the school because I'm not officially a student there yet.  And won't be until mid January.  All the local wifi spots I've tried will let me on, but I can't access any websites.  I think it might be because BT runs all the hotspots, and I don't have a BT account.  I get this idea from some of the ads I see plastered to the sides of the busses.  So, by the time I have access to a wifi hotspot, I won't need access to a wifi hotspot.  Bureaucracies.  Go fig.

Update:  I just checked.  It is because I don't have a BT account.

No comments:

Post a Comment