Thursday, November 11, 2010

British Library seminar

I received an email yesterday asking which two classes I would like to take in the seminar at the British Library on December 6.  I'm really excited to be able to work with the archivists and librarians there, but the available classes are a continuation of the problem I run into with my work.  I can choose between options like 16th to 19th century newspapers, 15th century printing, records of the East India company, the English Civil War, France in North America, Medieval Historical documents including early maps up to Tudor Era, and 16th to 18th century documents.  Once again, there is nothing in my era, let alone my area of study. 

I realize there is much more material available for later centuries, but it would be nice to have something for the pre-1000 AD researcher.  Chet says it is just more evidence that I'm on the cutting edge.  I just wonder if it means there is no real need or avenue for my work.  But then I come across someone like Beth Matney, who makes it her life work to gather this information, and that gives me incentive to work harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment