Sunday, November 7, 2010

Medieval Textile Library (and librarian)

Last Wednesday and Thursday, I spent some time with Beth Matney at her property in Arkansas.  This amazing woman has made it her life's work to collect everything ever written about Medieval textiles, in any language.  Her book collection has something over 10,000 works in it, including a large selection of science fiction and fantasy (which suited me down to the ground).  Many out-of-print books and articles are only readily available through Beth. I understand several libraries have approached her about donating her collection.  Who ever gets it will be very lucky, and may need to add a wing to the building...

We spent two very packed days creating a large-ish, though probably not comprehensive bibliography for me to work from.  I can't wait to roll up my sleeves and get to work on it!  It will be quite enjoyable.  First, I need to get my computer back, which will involve getting to England, so my husband can have his computer back.  Long story.

I intend to start posting pictures and possibly video clips as soon as two things happen: 1) I get access to my image files, and 2) I learn how to upload pictures from my camera. My son, Eric, and my husband can upload the files from my camera to their computers, but for some reason the camera won't talk to my computer.  Modern technology is one of the reasons I'm a medievalist ; ).

No comments:

Post a Comment